Congrats on your new braces! Now, you’re probably wondering how to take care of them. You know how to brush your teeth – but now how do you do it with braces?!
Kids with braces must take extra care cleaning their teeth and may need to adjust how and how often they brush their teeth. You need to brush after every meal, even up to 4 times a day, is a great way to keep food particles and plaque from building up in the braces and teeth. Make sure you brush for several minutes! Your toothbrush should be replaced as soon as the bristles start to fray. bristles start to fray or wear down.
To correctly brush teeth with braces:
1. Hold the toothbrush parallel to the floor against the side of the teeth.
2. Move the toothbrush in small circular motions, guiding the head of the brush from tooth to tooth, following the regular curve of the gums and teeth.
3. Brush each tooth for several seconds carefully and slowly to make sure all food particles are reached and removed along the gum line, between braces, and on the surface of each tooth.
4. Remember to brush the tops of teeth, the insides of teeth, the back of the mouth, and behind the molars. Brush upward on the lower teeth and downward on the upper teeth. Also brush the roof of the mouth and tongue before rinsing.
5. To properly clean brackets, angle the brush head against them and do not forget to also brush thoroughly under the wires.