The holiday season is nearly here! Halloween is in just a few weeks and then the holidays are in full swing! If you, your teen, and/or children are currently under orthodontic treatment, it doesn’t mean you have to miss out on all the yummy treats that come out this time of year. Although there are some treats and candies that can damage braces, there are still plenty of tasty, fun, AND safe morsels to satisfy that sweet tooth without setting back your treatment!
Things to Avoid
Although tempting, to avoid bending or breaking your braces, try to steer clear of any hard, sticky, chewy treats such as:
- Hard candies
- Hard pretzels
- Jelly beans (or similar chewy/sticky candy)
Try these instead!
Even if some of you or your child’s favorites are listed above, it doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy the holidays. Though you may need to make some changes in your options for yummy snacks, it is worth it to avoid damaging your braces and prolonging your treatment. Instead, try enjoying some of these soft snacks:
- Gelatin-based candies
- Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter (Reses anyone?)
For those already planning out their Christmas treats, maybe you would like to make these fun treats for your family and friends? Give these safe and tasty Christmas themed snacks a try this season! Let your kids join in on the fun too!
These are a quick and delicious treat that are fun to make as well!
- Start by cutting the stem and top off of a strawberry, so that it can sit up on its own.
- Next, cut off the top quarter (the tip of the strawberry)
- Add whipped cream to the top of the strawberry’s flat surface
- Place 2 chocolate sprinkles for the eyes of Santa’s face.
- Replace the tip of the strawberry onto the whipped cream (this makes Santa’s hat!)
- Lastly, dab a small amount of whipped cream on top of the hat.
Christmas Tree Lollipop Brownies
- Cut your brownies into triangle shapes.
- Decorate with frosting (think sprinkles, icing, and other holiday-themed edible decorations).
- To form your lollipop stick, push a hard straw, small craft stick, or skewer into the base of the brownie (careful not to stick it all the way through!)
It’s important to remember, even though you are choosing softer treats, it doesn’t replace the need for maintaining good oral hygiene, especially after snacks or meals. Brushing twice a day, especially during the holidays when you tend to indulge more on sweet treats, is very important.
For more tips on how to protect your braces, ask us during your next appointment or give us a call at 281-225-6784.